[time-nuts] Ashtech Z12T

Michael Wouters michaeljwouters at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:30:56 UTC 2018

Hello JF

(Ccing to time nuts because probably still of interest)
The TTR6 is a single channel receiver so you had to install an observing
schedule appropriate to your geographical region, which specified which
satellite you would track at which time. The BIPM used to generate and
distribute these schedules every 6 months or so but stopped doing this 7?
years ago - I think this is what you mean by "ephemerides".

If you have N satellites tracked then you can reduce the time transfer
noise by sqrt(N) roughly speaking. You can either do common view, where you
match satellites at each location and time, and then take an average of the
differences, or all in view, where you average all of the satellites
visible at each location, and then difference. Common view gives you less
noise (because of better cancellation of eg the effects of the ionosphere)
on short baselines. However as the baseline increases in length, the number
of satellites in common view decreases and the statistical noise increases.
At distances of a few thousand km, all in view starts to win because more
satellites are used. You can improve the processing by doing things like
weighting  the satellites according to their elevation.

The current best method of doing GNSS time-transfer is PPP or precise point
positioning, and is a form of all in view, with much better post-processing
that uses both code and phase observatIons. You can do this with the
Septentrio receivers. But CGGTTS-based time transfer is still used in the
timing community.

Cheers
Michael