[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

John Moran, Scawby Design john at scawbydesign.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 22:28:30 UTC 2018

I'm a little puzzled as to why people keep calling 60kHz - 'RF'. Many Hi-Fi audio amplifiers go higher than that.

As for an 'RF' front end, there are dozens of off-the-shelf op-amps that can amplify the signal from a tuned ferrite rod aerial sufficiently to then feed into a decent A-D and then a micro.

Analog Devices have A-Ds that digitize the carrier of 12GHz RF signals so I think we should be able to manage 60kHz ... the problem then being to process the resulting data stream.

However, fast A-Ds are not particularly cheap and you would need circa 50MHz sample rate to resolve 1deg of the carrier, and TVB has already stated that there are no time benefits to BPSK, so this is all just an interesting technical exercise, isn't it?

John Moran