[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Dec 4 22:52:52 UTC 2018

--------
In message <20181204224816.bfef2926d942b52db8061a6e at kinali.ch>, Attila Kinali writes:

>On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 13:12:48 -0800
>jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I maintain that it's the lack of a cheap RF front end that is the sticky point.

Then you have misunderstood how little you actually need.

This is the "front-end" I ran most of my VLF experiments with:

	http://phk.freebsd.dk/loran-c/Antenna/

A single AD797 and via 10m of coax directly into an ADC.

Modern capacitor-based ADCs work fine with even very small signals,
many can be run with sub-volt VREF and still be perfectly happy.

There really isn't anything to it...

The only reason I'm not active in VLF any more is that I have to
choose between VLF reception or my robotic lawn-mowers, and with
5000m² of lawn, that is not even a close call.