[time-nuts] new WWVB BPSK dev board

Alex Pummer alex at pcscons.com
Wed Dec 5 18:49:38 UTC 2018

There is a problem with most pre-amplifiers and also particularly with
anything up font of the sampling; to get  good data the amplitude of the
sampled signal has to have relative high levels, comparable to
microphone output level -- up to 50mV -- if one wanted to use the sound
cart input. Additionally to that the sound card has it's internal
amplifier before the A to D converter. Unfortunately the "vicinity" of
the 60kHz is not a quite area, but it is full with noise of house hold
and industrial origin. I spent substantial time to investigate that
noises and I found many unsuspected sources. I may own household I have
on tooth cleaning jet for every day use, which was replaced recently wit
a new one since the previous one was more than fifteen years old and
started to show old age problems. The new unit looking from the outside
was very similar to the old one except that the old had one AC motor the
new one has a DC motor with a switching mode power supply, which is with
the motor's commutator generating RF noise up to the TV bands disturbing
the reception and of course generating enough interference to overload
any sound card with pre -amplifier. I am very curious how did they get
that device -- the water jet-- trough the FCC test  or did not ever
border to do it? But that water jet  is not alone, just look your own
computer's including it's power supply. You no not need any very
sophisticated instrument just some old spectrum analyzer, which is
running on it's own without any computer connection, and you will what
is out there, sweep so between 35kHz to 100kHz use one coils as antenna
with a diameter of 2' to 3' and at least thirty turns. With that set up
you will be able to see WWVB to. If you turn the coil's axis
perpendicular to the direction from your position to Forth Collins in
Colorado, you will see the --AM also-- modulated WWVB at 60kHz. These
illegal carriers with very large amplitude are able to overload the
input of the sound card's -- or any other --A to D converter. The old
WWVB receivers for the at the time just AM modulated signal used to use
crystal filter for good reason, which is not usable any more since the
frequency spreading of the phase modulation will not fit into the
crystal filter's band width, and the settling time of the filter's
output will cause one additional AM modulation.   By using some
selection and very linear amplification I was able to get did I get a
120mVp_p signal from WWVB and compared it's phase stability  to the
phase of one other 60kHz signal derived from a GPS receiver with one
u-blox board. If there is interest  I could describe how did I do it.

73

KJ6UHN

Alex