[time-nuts] simple phase finder

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Dec 5 22:35:39 UTC 2018

In message <d88d97a3-6715-760b-2219-2dedd18789a3 at earthlink.net>, jimlux
writes:

 > If anyone has a suggestion for an off the shelf active antenna that's
 > orderable and receivable by Friday, I'd love to hear it.  There's 3 or 4
 > of them I've seen (Clifford labs, DX Engineering has one, I'm sure MFJ
 > has one)

I have a couple of the Clifton Labs antennas, and they are superb.  Jack
Smith, K8ZOA, was the genius behind them.  Unfortunately, Jack passed
away a couple of years ago.  DX Engineering bought the business and I
think is still selling the antenna (he also had a lot of other gadgets
like low noise/high dynamic range HF preamps).

You won't get it by Friday, but there is a Ukranian ham who sells a very
inexpensive ($21!!!) active antenna on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiniWhip-Active-Antenna-HF-LF-VLF-mini-whip-shortwave-sdr-RX-portable-receiving-/222327564468

It is a knock-off of a design by PA0NHC.  I have played with one, and it
seems to work OK.

(By the way, if you'd like an international amateur radio soap opera,
there is quite a lot of controversy around this Ukranian ham and another
who have eBay stores selling mainly VHF transverters as well as other
products like this antenna.  Each accuses the other of stealing his
design, and claims that his is better.  And PA0NHC is mad because one of
them sells his design fully built (he only offers bare PB). )

John