[time-nuts] Symmetricom TS2100 Faults and Forgetfulness

Chris Quayle syseng at gfsys.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 00:42:55 UTC 2018

On 12/06/18 12:23, time-nuts-request at lists.febo.com wrote:
> Esa Heikkinen

> I think IP address or display settings cannot be stored to that EEPROM,
> it contains oscillator steering parameters etc. That is because this
> EEPROM is write protected by jumper JP4, so any user settings cannot be
> there. You only need to edit the EEPROM content if you change to
> different oscillator. To do any changes there JP4 must be shorted to
> enable writing.
>
>  From my TS2100 I have stored two EEPROM dumps:
>
> With original TXCO:
> 0e 5b 45 4b 00 00 00 46
> 31 30 34 30 38 30 37 39
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 a0 6e 04 1f d3 56 43
> 58 4f 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff ff
> ff eb 00 00 00 02 3f 73
> 33 33 00 04 00 00 00 00
> 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> After upgrading MTI OCXO:
> a5 73 9b 52 00 00 00 46
> 31 30 34 30 38 30 37 39
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 a0 6e 04 1f d3 56 43
> 58 4f 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 ff ff
> ff eb ff ff ff ec 3f 7f
> df 3b 00 04 00 00 00 00
> 00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
>
> So there must be some other place to store the user data. I would look
> if there's more EEPROMs on the board and does they have write protect
> jumpers also. Erratic jumper setting there could prevent storing any
> changes. It may also be faulty eeprom.
>
> -- 73s! Esa OH4KJU

Here's mine again:

fe 55 73 7c 00 00 00 46
33 30 30 30 30 30 32 31
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 a0 6e 04 14 4a 56 43
58 4f 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 ff ff
ff ed 00 00 00 14 3f 7f
df 03 00 04 00 00 00 00
00 24 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Already replaced the oscillator a while back. Comparing the
output to a gps 10Mhz, the original was jittering all over the
place and not very nice on an sa either. Didn't have the exact fit, but
did have a small ovenised vcxo which had the right vcc and control
range. Epoxied that the the board, but had to add a squarer (a
single transistor) as it had a sine wave op. So, it's been hacked
around a bit already.

One thing I did notice in the eeprom, 4th line down, first six bytes, is
the ether mac address, but haven't edited any parameters as yet. Right
now, it's running on a ups, along with a couple of other what I call,
"essential loads" :-).

As for user setups, from memory, there are two eeproms on the board,
so may swap the other item to see if it fixes the fault...

Regards,

Chris