[time-nuts] Project GREAT - Galloping Galileo version

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 9 02:29:41 UTC 2018

On 12/8/18 4:52 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> What, no 0.046 +/- -.002” vent hole?

Not on the physics package of the CSAC.  As I understand it, the vacuum
around the physics package is more for thermal isolation than anything
else.  You can tell that the vacuum is fading because the heater current
starts to rise

Long digression, near rant, on venting requirements follows

We use a Volume/Area ratio <2000 inches  (oddly, in US customary units,
not metric, unless you want to spend time analyzing the launch pressure
profile and your orifice flow rates).  I have no idea where the specific
value came from, other than it's the lowest tick mark on figure 1 in
this paper.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19980236692.pdf

In particular that paper cites a reference from 1970.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710018690.pdf
which alludes to failures, and also talks a lot about how you can do
venting wrong (put your vent hole where there's a shock wave, let hot
gases in, etc.), but doesn't really address the venting of a box within
a box scenario.

I find that there is often little actual detailed rationale for such
requirements, other than "it worked before, it's easy to meet, so why
bother arguing".
I'll bet that paper (from 1998?) is basically an attempt to provide an
analytical rationale for the "rule of thumb" that probably dates back to
the turn of the 19th century in some way.  Maybe Lord Rayleigh wrote
about it?

.