[time-nuts] Project GREAT - Galloping Galileo version

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 9 15:08:38 UTC 2018

Hi

On a normal OCXO or TCXO design you would put the product in a
package with a hermetic outer wall to keep out crud and moisture.
Per the papers cited you would put a small vent hole in a “space grade”
product. Every time I see an eBay listing with a nutty price on a “space
OCXO” I wonder if it’s been sitting “vented” on a nice humid / dusty shelf for
decades.

Indeed the only way to test / use  product vented like that is to put it in a
thermal / vacuum chamber (or fly it to outer space). While my basement
has a reasonable selection of this and that, I don’t seem to have missed
out on picking up a thermal vac chamber ….

How different is the performance with air in the package? It turns out to
be very much a “that depends” sort of thing. Usually not as big a deal
on a TCXO as on an OCXO.

Bob