[time-nuts] Modern signal generators

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Tue Dec 11 23:26:22 UTC 2018

Hi

As I said, just how rational using these parts in a radio …. not at all clear to me.
Back when I went to school, stuff that was this noisy was not in the “greatest” category.
That was a *very* long time ago.

Oddly enough best performance synthesizers have gotten better. (as the posted
presentations very clearly show). Just why a “high end” radio uses a less than
ideal synthesizer likely relates more to cost (even at a price of thousands of dollars)
than to anything else.

Indeed cost also drives things like GPSDO’s and GPS modules. We often are not
very eager to acknowledge that fact.

Bob