[time-nuts] new op amp for distribution amplifiers

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 17:02:30 UTC 2018

Hello Gerhard, everyone,

I made a test using the THS3491 on a slightly modified PCB from my "FDA"
design [1].

At first with 200 Ohm feedback/gain resistors all I got was (pulsed, in
bursts) self-oscillation (around 150MHz or so).
The datasheet [2] does however warn about this and suggests 976 Ohms for a
gain of 2V/V, so I went with 1k.
That got rid of the self-oscillation - but now I am left with severe (16 dB
@ 230 MHz) gain-peaking! (see attached figure)
The datasheet shows a 2V/V gain-plot with only minor peaking at >700MHz.

>From past simulations [3] the gain-resistors do contribute at some point to
the noise, so increasing them further for more stability is not great for
AM or PN.
I did not bother with the phase-noise probe yet - better to get rid of that
gain-peaking first (?).
Is there anything else that can be done, besides increasing Rf/Rg for more
stability?
Anything obviously wrong with the layout? It does work fine with LMH6702
and LMH6609.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Anders

[1] https://www.ohwr.org/projects/pda-8ch-fda-8ch/wiki/wiki