[time-nuts] Minicircuits SYPD-1

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Dec 21 07:37:06 UTC 2018

Hi Jerry,

On 12/19/18 7:04 PM, Jerry Hancock wrote:
> Thanks to all that replied, lots of good info which will take me months to sort through, especially the link to Jürg Kögel looks helpful as well as a note from Bert.
>
> Attila, Yes, more phase noise than long term though this is really an exercise to get a better understanding of oscillators and measurement techniques.
>
> The 2n2222 mixer sounds like another H-mode, I’ll have to look at it.  It probably uses self-wound, micro-sized bobbins which will be a challenge for me :-].

No, it used off the shelf transformers and the 2N2222A hooked up in
diode mode in a ring, just as you would for a DBM, it's home-cooked DBM.
Check it out for yourself:
https://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2554.pdf

Do use the NIST Time and Frequency library with all their articles, lots
of fun reading ahead!

> Bob, I think you were the person who pointed me to the loose PLL a while back.  The circuit I am building used a gain of 300ish (30k/100) and I expect that to really clip when unlocked.  I have a 10-turn variable in the circuit to bring it close initially.

The gain in one stage in itself is not particular interesting, but
rather the loops open-loop gain which translates into the bandwidth of
the loop.

Cheers,
Magnus