[time-nuts] FE-5608A Freq Std.

Jeff Kruth kmec at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 06:02:30 UTC 2019

Hi John (et.al.)

The Frequency Electronic 5608A was the reference standard in a versatile satellite telecom system made for Uncle Sam by STS (Satellite Transmission Systems, LI NY, long defunct) and I know for a fact these were used in Gulf War I (!!). I had a tractor trailer load of this stuff I got from NSA in the late '90's, then I bought more in early 2000's. Got three of these things among all the TWTs & synthesized Up/Down converters. I called FE and spoke to a nice fellow who acknowledged the freq standard, told me it was quite expensive, and that the 5 MHz oscillator was quite good (he must have meant for the time). I had tinkered with mine (battery packs all bad of course). He would not tell me any more than that, except to say the rubidium was not a "normal" standard with 10 MHz out, but was more like a frequency comparator or a locking device, controlling the 5 MHz standard after it have been thru the power amp & doubler modules, then injected into the rube box.  Maybe someone on the list knows a bit more?? Weird scheme, for sure.
73Jeff KruthWA3KR