[time-nuts] Refreshing the HP 3048A (DOS)

Leon Pavlovic leon.pavlovic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:45:12 UTC 2019

Dear Time Nuts,

this is my first post to the group, hello! I've been reading the group for
some time already, but now I've decided to contribute.

Since I am a phase noise enthusiast, I've assembled in the past few months
a 3048A system. With a little difference. The relatively old 3048A system
provides a limited selection of RF analyzers, which nowadays are hard to
get (working at least) for a budget price. So I've acquired a newer
spectrum analyzer HP 8594E (which is again old, but available on ebay), and
of course it is not supported by the 3048A software.

By poking around the DOS application, the 8594E is now happily working with
the system. And yes, I actually like the fast DOS interface.

Anybody interested in the patched app, let me know off the list.

Here are two screenshots from my system:

http://lea.hamradio.si/~s56jlp/tnuts/Setup_HP8594E.png ... Instrument setup
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s56jlp/tnuts/X_03-10H.png ... PN measurement of two
AT-cut crystal oscillators at 100MHz by my own R&D

Regards,
Leon