[time-nuts] LN RB

John Miles john at miles.io
Wed Feb 6 21:08:56 UTC 2019

(Forwarded message from Said below)

-----Original Message-----
From: Said Jackson [mailto:saidjack at jackson-labs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 4:25 PM
To: 'John Miles'; 'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'
Subject: RE: [time-nuts] LN RB

Gents,

We have to also put this into perspective. We put a large number of
configuration capabilities into the unit to be able to optimize it just for
this type of thermally challenging application, and those options have not
been explored yet.

In particular the loop time constants can be simply set with the

SERV:MODE <SLOW|MEDium|FAST|AUTO>

commands (user manual section 3.10.2), and by default the setting is SLOW as
we assume stationary laboratory conditions with only typical AC excursions
and want to provide the absolute maximum ADEV and PN performance under
typical laboratory conditions. As Johns testing shows, the unit is extremely
stable even when not shielded from airflow and experiencing windows with -2C
outside air temp being opened in the room etc.

We do not optimize the unit to be thermally shocked from 25C to 65C+ by
default, but alas it is very easy to use the above pre-configured settings,
or to even come up with more aggressive  loop settings to accommodate such
extreme environmental conditions.

In this case, none of these options were explored, and the results should be
predictable based on knowing that the OCXO has a thermal stability of
+/-10ppb from -20C to +70C and the default loop time constants go out to 30+
minutes, and the unit was thermally shocked with much faster time constants.
The math becomes very simple with this information about the default
settings.

We also describe much more aggressive loop settings than the FAST setting in
Table 2.6 in the user manual. These could be explored to guarantee that the
loop time constants remain significantly faster than the expected thermal
gradients, which guarantees that the loop is able to keep the OCXO on-phase
with the Rubidium oscillator during thermal excursions.

We cannot cheat physics here, but with almost 10x difference in the loop
time constant options between the default SLOW and the FAST settings as
described in Table 2.6 it is not surprising that the unit does not perform
well when not properly configured for a particular environment. Also, as
John mentioned - there are potentially other issues in that particular unit,
and it's hard to judge without having access to comprehensive log file
information.

Bye,
Said

-- john, KE5FX