[time-nuts] HP Stories: Battery Chargers, and a fading idolization of HP

Rice, Hugh (IPH Writing Systems) hugh.rice at hp.com
Sun Feb 10 12:06:13 UTC 2019

The 5061A/B is the only HP T&M product that I worked on deeply, and yes, the manual is very complete and accurate, save a typo here or there.    One careful reader (Ian) pointed out a typo in the generic 2N part number for the main TO-3 power transistor!

The product family was old enough that the service manual was effectively the master copy of the schematics, for both internal HP use and external use.   I have no memory of any official schematics stored or archived  anywhere else.   That may just be my bad memory though.  I'm sure I drew up schematics for my own designs, but don't remember "checking them in", or making official copies of them.

Official parts list, or bill of materials, were of course computerized by the 1980s, and drove the MRP (materials resource planning) process for purchasing components for manufacturing.

Hugh