[time-nuts] HP Stories: Battery Chargers, and a fading idolization of HP

Rice, Hugh (IPH Writing Systems) hugh.rice at hp.com
Sun Feb 10 12:18:36 UTC 2019

Hi Poul -
I'm only familiar with the system design for the 5061A/B, and can't really speak to a general HP T&M design approach.  Maybe Rick has some insights.
My real expertise is HP Inkjet printers, but those stories are for another mailing list.

Reaching back to the 5060A, I think Lou Mueller once told me that Len Cutler, in the original system design, decreed that every module would have "10dB of margin".    Not sure what that was compared to, but the idea is that he wanted a very reliable, very high margin design.

The AC transformer in the 5061A/B was from HPs transformer organization (HP actually made their own transformers for many years), and whoever designed the original power system left a lot of "brown out" margin in the system.    There is a "115/230"  switch on the primary side of the transformer, but the system was designed to work well in low voltage 100 VAC countries.    The input AC voltage could go down quite a lot before the main 18.7V power throughout the 5061A/B would start to wilt.

Hugh