[time-nuts] Lucent RFTGm-II-XO / Lucent RFTGm-II-Rb / NT BW50AA

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Feb 13 16:05:01 UTC 2019

Hi

The trick is that a good 125 MHz OCXO has better phase noise at 100 Hz than a
multiplied 5 or 10 MHz OCXO. By the time you get to 30 Hz, usually the lower frequency
multiplied up wins. By the time you get to 3 Hz, the much higher Q HF OCXO always
wins. (Yes, you could have a great 125 MHz and an utterly trash 5 MHz where this would
not apply. For the OCXO’s used in the big old telecom GPSDO’s it does apply).

This also *assumes* the noise floor in your phase detector and noise floor in your dividers
is not limiting what you do. That *probably* is true for most of the parts you would reasonably
decide to use. Again, something that is worth measuring on the device you build up.

Now - in *your* application, how much does 30 Hz phase noise matter? Maybe it is a big
deal, maybe it does not matter at all. If it does not matter, then indeed do the GPSDO
straight up with the 125 ( or 250 or …. ) MHz oscillator. It very much depends on what the
system you are designing up requires.

Bob