[time-nuts] Portable Time Standard

Petr Titěra petr at titera.eu
Sun Feb 17 22:46:14 UTC 2019

Hello,

as I've said these are quite new, cheap RTC modules. There is DS3231SN
on them. Based on markings they were manufactured somewhere in 2008 but
I've bought them recently.

I have two those modules. Both connected using I2C.

First module is connected to Orange Pi sitting on my table. Pi is
running NTP and is controlled by NEO-6M GPS module (not timing, I know
butat this level accuracy of PPS signal should be enough).

I measure in 10 seconds intervals difference between system time (which
I consider stable in long term) and time reported by RTC chip as
reported by adjtimex in compare mode.

This is a little bit naive setup because timing from RTC is noisy but in
long run (its running for 25 days now) it should give me reasonable results.

I did modify offset register. Again using naive approach. I've let run
unmodified module for one day and from that I did compute offset required.

For second module I'm meassuring just now I don't care about time
reported and meassure only interval between rising edge of its PPS
pulses and PPS pulses from another GPS. Again for this measurement I
consider GPS PPS signal as stable.

This second one is a little bit worse (or may be wrongly calibrated) but
I still get about 0.3PPM from my measurements.

Petr Titera