[time-nuts] AD9912 DDS frequency resolution measurement?

John Miles john at miles.io
Tue Feb 19 21:25:36 UTC 2019

> A friend of mine has a x96 multiplier from 108 MHz to 10 GHz but we don't
> have access to any counters capable if measuring the difference.

For sanity-checking an extremely small frequency discrepancy, perhaps you
could set up the DDS to output a signal very close to a plesiochronous
reference of some kind.  E.g., a binary fraction of its own clock frequency
plus or minus 1 LSB.  Then trigger a scope from the DDS output while
watching the clock slide past it on the other channel.

This turns the question into one that can be answered definitively with a
stopwatch, rather than ambiguously with a counter. :)

-- john, KE5FX
Miles Design LLC