[time-nuts] AD9912 DDS frequency resolution measurement?

Anders Wallin anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 13:47:53 UTC 2019

AD replied to my message on the AD forums: (upon inspection they will
revise the datasheet to say the resolution is 47 bits now... ha!)
https://ez.analog.com/dds/f/q-a/107510/ad9912-ftw-lsb-always-zero
the datasheet has a copyright "2007-2010" so maybe the chip has been out
for 11-12 years already (?) but nobody bothered to measure the frequency
resolution!?

We might give the visual oscilloscope-method a go also at some point - just
for kicks.
For example one could set the DDS frequency so that there's a "beat" of
3600 seconds (1 h) - i.e. the 10MHz reference and the DDS output drift one
period (100ns) during an hour.
If I calculated correctly when the frequency is changed by one LSB that
3600s beat should change by around +/-45 seconds. If the change is 2LSB the
beat-period changes by around 90seconds.
To see the 'coincidence', maybe we need to collect traces from the
oscilloscope at 5s or 10s intervals, and do cross-correlation...

Anders