[time-nuts] how to feed multiple GPS receivers ?

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Feb 25 13:45:30 UTC 2019

Hi

On a GPS distribution system the issue of 75 vs 50 ohm cable is pretty much a
non-issue. A lot of people have run 75 ohms (like Trimble on the TBolt) and had
no problems from this.

The “TV” splitters are generally spec’d to 2 GHz, so well beyond GPS frequencies.
Again, it should not be an issue. There are also cheap multi-port splitters on the
auction sites.

DC blocks *are* a good idea. DC loads may or may not be needed. It’s a try it and see
sort of thing. Some have been known to simply drop a 50 ohm load on one port of a
8 way splitter and let that be the DC load. You *can* run into issues doing this ….
(one device feeds 12V and another is a 3.3V feed …. smoke results …). Cable TV
DC blocks are dirt cheap ….

Ideally you want the antenna as high as you can get it. In an urban area with various
constraints, that may or may not be very high. Coax losses plus splitter losses should
be considered when designing something like this. An amplifier ahead of the splitter
is not at all unusual.

With the arrival of world of low cost multi-band GPS devices … put up a multi-band
antenna. At the very least L1 / L2 (including Glonass coverage). Ideally L1 / L2 / L5.
Much easier to do it right the first time.

Bob