[time-nuts] how to feed multiple GPS receivers ?

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 21:59:42 UTC 2019

After starting off with a single GPS module on a RaspberryPi, and
discovering the issues of just having a single clock... I now have
three GPS receivers (and a fourth on the way) of various types, each
with their own antenna. I'm aware that I'm heading off down an
interesting road that will consume ever more of my time, but at the
moment it's still fun (-:

To remove the difference of multiple antennas (different skyviews
etc), I'm thinking about using a single antenna and "distributing" the
feed to the receivers.

I should also add that I'm doing this in the UK (in central London),
and as inexpensively as possible.

Reading back through the mailing list several people appear to have
used SatTV splitters with GPS signals to apparently good results, and
I've ordered one of these
https://vision-products.co.uk/8-way-single-port-dc-pass-splitter/
which if I understand it correctly, will passthrough DC from one port,
and block DC from the other ports. From other reading of the mailing
list, it looks as if I will also need to present a DC load to the
other receivers, and if I've read corectly this would be a "Bias tee"
used with a resitive load instead of a DC voltage, but am not sure if
I have understood correctly.

I'm aware of impedance matching issues with using a mix of 75 ohm and
50 ohm parts, but as I said, I'm doing this as inexpensively as
possible, and a 58536A is way over budget at the moment.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Arne