[time-nuts] GN-GGB0710 GNSS Antenna

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 14:36:32 UTC 2019

On 2/24/19 5:01 PM, djl wrote:
> Probably tapped for 1/2" pipe thread.
> Don

I don't know.. 1/2" NPT is 0.840" which a lot bigger than 5/8" 0.625"
3/8" NPT is 0.675, which would be pretty loose on a 5/8" bolt. 3/8" is
18 TPI. Not til you get up to the 1" and bigger do you get down to 11.5 TPI.

I have seen antennas with pipe thread - the idea is that you are
bringing the cable down through rigid metallic conduit - but it was 3/4"
NPT pipe. 1.050" OD, 14 TPI.

An interesting question - how many turns of mismatched thread pitch do
you get before it binds?

Maybe it's a somewhat non-standard tapered 5/8-11? - as others have
noted, 5/8-11 is a standard surveying tripod thread. I'll also note that
on a tripod typically you have the bolt and often has a tightening nut,
so you can deal with both shallow and deep holes in the instrument
you're putting on top. You thread the bolt up into the instrument, then
spin the nut up against the bottom of the mounting surface to pull the
instrument snug on the top surface.

(or a poorly manufactured 5/8-11?)