[time-nuts] GN-GGB0710 GPS Antenna Mounting Thread

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 17:55:02 UTC 2019

On 2/25/19 8:44 AM, David Witten wrote:
> The bit of threaded tubing I found at the hardware store that fits
> perfectly is labeled:
>
> ProLine plumbing and heating products
> BN-750NLB
> 877250
> Nipple
> (Niple)
> 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch x 6 inch
> MIP
> for installation instructions visit:
> www.bkproducts.com
>
> I was surprised by the 1/4 inch bit, as it seems distinctly larger.  It is
> definitely tapered and threads smoothly, and seats firmly with all of the
> threads engaged.

Unlike tubing (which is "true to size") pipe sizes bear no discernable
easy to remember relationship to their physical dimensions.

1/4" pipe is a bit more than 1/2" OD.. (and 1/8" is not much smaller)
It's because originally, it was 1/4" ID, with standard wall thickness..
It's significantly bigger than 1/4" now, in any available wall thickness.

It's like all the various "gauges" for diameters and thicknesses.. they
all come from some original "good idea" unique to an application - so
depending on which metal it is, the gauge number for a given thickness
is different. (and then we get to shotgun barrel and shot sizes...)

Or things like steam horsepower ratings for boilers, or...

This is why I have a PocketRef in my toolbox, with some pages tabbed or
dogeared.