[time-nuts] HP Stories: An architectural view of the HP 5060/5061 and awkward oscillator adjustments.

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.se
Mon Feb 25 20:15:30 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 2019-02-25 07:48, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> In message <CADHrwpcdmyeguXoM69D2byW=DfKwMfi7_t-P=qYst7T7OO=EuA at mail.gmail.com>, Dana Whitlow writes:
>
>> This would seem to imply that purposely overrating a 'lyt is pretty pointless.
>>
>> Any comments on this notion?
> I've always wondered that myself, and found very little documentation or
> wisdom available.
>
> As I understand it, even very brief voltage spikes must be kept under the
> rated voltage, so overrating would buy some transient durability, but
> other than that...

The trouble with aluminium electrolytics is that if not voltaged is
applied, the oxide layer slowly breaks down. This is why the capacitors
is stored charged and needs to have slowly increased voltage for the
oxide layer to rebuild. If too high voltage is applied it breaks
through. Now, over-rating could potentially not work very well if not
operated at high enough voltage.

I don't recall for sure the reference for this, but I think some of it
was out of AT&T Reliability manual. I'm too far away on travels from my
library to check on details.

It's also a concern with boat-anchor equipment. Direct full-voltage
power-up can make the caps blow in the PSU.

Cheers,
Magnus