[time-nuts] HP Stories: An architectural view of the HP 5060/5061 and awkward oscillator adjustments.

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Feb 25 22:22:16 UTC 2019

Hi

Well …. ummm …. errr …. it turns out that there *are* (or were) papers published on the topic that are
“well known” in the … errrr …. space community and pop right out of the stack of papers that the guys
from …. errr ….  a well known space outfit in California bring with them ….

The issue is that below some magic percentage of the rated voltage, the dielectric may try to re-form.
When it does, the outcome is a bit unpredictable. As I recall it applies both to tantalum and aluminum
parts. There are different factors for the two types.

Keep in mind this all came up in a meeting in the mid 1990’s ….memory is only just so good ...

Bob