[time-nuts] GN-GGB0710 GNSS Antenna

Peter Monta pmonta at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 04:28:04 UTC 2019

My copy of this antenna has the correct threads, just as a data point.
Serial number 1718010926.  No date code that I can see, but it was
delivered two weeks ago.

Attached is the spectrum of the antenna looking at the sky, taken with an
RTL-SDR dongle.  There is some response at L5, but it's on the tail of the
antenna's filter, and really only the upper half of L5 makes it through.
I've acquired some L5 signals, and the SNR is adequate, but probably not as
good as an antenna that's truly flat over this band.  Overall I prefer the
Tallysman TW3972 for full-GNSS coverage, but it's much more expensive, $380
vs $90.

The little blip at 1575 MHz is the combination of the GPS, Galileo, and
BeiDou L1 signals.  It usually rises 2 or 3 dB out of the noise floor.

Does anyone have an ANTEX calibration file for this antenna, or a
recommendation for a close match in the IGS or NGS databases?  Or, failing
that, rough vertical distances to the L1 and L2 phase centers?

Cheers,
Peter