[time-nuts] Misuse of word "decimate" (was Re: Short term 10MHz source)

Bob Martin aphid1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 10 16:33:41 UTC 2019

  There is a reason dictionaries supply multiple definitions to words
and it's not surprising that some engineer or scientist chose the
most common meaning of decimate in coining the name decimation
filter. I must admit it bugs me as well when the decimate is
equated with slaughter.

  The meaning of words can evolve over time.
Washington DC had (has?) a radio station called WGAY back in the
seventies.  The the meaning of the word gay evolved since those call
letters were first assigned. Interestingly the station formats
evolved with the word.

http://beautifulmusicradio.blogspot.com/2013/01/wgay-and-wqmr-washingtons-quality-music.html

Back in those same seventies, I was working for an army lab (Harry
Diamond Labs) as a summer student. I saw a picture in a lab supply
catalog of a (ein) stein of beer. I tore it out and taped it over a
picture off Albert Einstein that a German physicist, Howard Brandt,
had on the wall over his desk.  This was a bad idea.  Howard was so
incensed that he called the whole department together, hauled out
the Websters Unabridged Dictionary, and forced me to read the
definition of the word philistine in front of the group.
Fortunately, there were many entries under the word and I chose "a
native of Philistia" to read out loud. The moral is words can have
many meanings and, more importantly, don't make fun of Einstein
around German Physicists.

Bob Martin