[time-nuts] Calculating sidereal time

Didier Juges shalimr9 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:14:51 UTC 2019

Hi Steve,

Thanks a lot for the references and background information. Looks like I
have more reading to do... I was not planning to for this project but it is
interesting.

I have seen references to using half days in some code samples. I suppose
this is what Brooke referred to when he said astronomers work at night :) I
need to look into that.

That could cause a ~2 minutes error in my code (difference between sidereal
day and calendar day is ~4 minutes). I would still be off by a minute, but
in the other direction...

I have not looked at the new reference you suggested (Capitaine) yet but I
wonder why the previous formula was replaced. It's hard to imagine that
suddenly calculations would be off.

When looking at seconds, I am not sure what's wrong with setting
equivalence between earth rotation and time. Certainly it seems to meet my
present purpose. In the more general sense, I appreciate that it may not be
absolutely correct, or that it would not work at the microsecond level
because the earth wobbles. If the earth does not rotate at a constant rate,
how can we know where an observer on earth is in space at any time? I am
not sure how the current GPS system deals with it but that's another
subject.