[time-nuts] Good clean-up oscillators

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Wed Jan 23 22:31:04 UTC 2019

Hi

If you take a look at typical TCXO’s and XO’s in a real world environment, their noise is higher than a similar
OCXO even at 100 Hz. If you are cleaning up something like a Rb, your loop may well be below 1Hz.

Like everything else, it becomes a “that depends” sort of thing. If your cleanup loop bandwidth is in
the KHz … it really does not matter. In the 30 to 300 Hz range it’s a bit of a tossup. By the time you go
below 10 Hz, a good OCXO will always win.

Yes, this is all based on the Rb cleanup example that would be in the 10 MHz vicinity. Go up to 300 MHz
and everything shifts a bit. Yet another “depends”.

Bob