[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Bill Slade slade_bill at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 11:59:16 UTC 2019

Hello Denny,

Things to keep in mind:

  1.  To keep noise performance, LNA gain at the antenna should be at least 10 dB above total losses in antenna cable & distribution network.  13-16 dB above is better.  Something like this would be more than suitable for a 30 ft run: https://www.pasternack.com/flexible-0.403-rg8-type-50-ohm-coax-cable-pvc-jacket-pe-b400-p.aspx
  2.  amplified splitter best (I see that's what you have in your web links).

If cable losses are under 13dB or so, a 26dB gain antenna should be fine.  40dB gain will not give you any better performance.  In fact, excess LNA gain makes GNSS receiver tracking more susceptible to disruption by possible interference (e.g. from harmonic distortion, reciprocal mixing effects, etc.) depending on how good the band filters in the antenna are and what interferers are nearby.

Cheers,

Bill