[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Bill Slade slade_bill at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 27 14:24:52 UTC 2019

Hi again,
The very best GNSS antennas tend to be based on suspended patch antenna
(air-dielectric) structures because they give the best
bandwidth/radiation efficiency (and hence, noise temperature)
performance.  The very best include choke-rings for multipath
suppression (Dorne-Margolin & variants), but these are costly items.
Miniature ceramic pucks can have pretty horrible radiation efficiency,
which degrades noise performance, so be careful when buying Chinese
cheapies.    I have actually seen commercial antennas where resistors
were added (before LNA) to improve antenna return loss!