[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Jan 27 18:58:55 UTC 2019

Hi

True indeed and for about $10,000 you can get pretty close to “the best”. If you
want to slum it, you can get “pretty good” for about $2,000.  If you are truly
after high end performance new is the way to go. Getting the full  modern suite
of signals on a used one …. not so much. Even getting a used one that isn’t a bit
beat up may be a challenge. I have also seen used antennas listed for more
than they cost new …..

Since all that “best” stuff applies mainly to survey work, it’s not clear that
one needs to spend that much for a timing antenna. In the context of
what’s coming, you do very much want all the bands / all the signals /
all the services. That will matter, even for timing. At the very least the European
system should be a great timing source (as GPS already is). The Russian
system keeps getting better. I have not seen a lot of papers showing the
Chinese doing quite as well. I’d bet they will catch up if they have not
already.

Why is best different for survey vs timing? For a good survey, you want
sat’s spread out all over the sky. That quickly gets you to sats that are
close to the horizon. Multipath it going to be an issue when you do that.
For timing (with a well known static location of course) your best sat’s
are straight overhead. (the path through the atmosphere is shorter, the
path is easier to estimate / correct ). You set things like an elevation mask
to toss out the sat's likely to give multipath.

Lots of variables ….

Bob