[time-nuts] Rooftop antenna and splitter

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 19:24:42 UTC 2019

On 1/27/19 6:24 AM, Bill Slade wrote:
> Hi again,
> The very best GNSS antennas tend to be based on suspended patch antenna
> (air-dielectric) structures because they give the best
> bandwidth/radiation efficiency (and hence, noise temperature)
> performance.  The very best include choke-rings for multipath
> suppression (Dorne-Margolin & variants), but these are costly items.

In the choke ring world, the typical elements I've seen recently tend to
be crossed drooping dipoles

There's also the ever popular helibowl (a helix wound on a plastic cup
(red Solo beer cup is a bit too big) in a metal bowl - think the things
under a burner in a stove) - non-critical, wideband, etc.

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2012-May/067138.html
One reference says Spitzmesser apparently based it on the "helicone"
Carver, K, "The Helicone - A Circularly Polarized Antenna with Low Side
lobe Level" Proc IEEE, vol AP-55, #4, Apr 67, p559.

Maybe, maybe not - I get the impression it's a "lets try this and see if
it works" antenna.

So I'm going to guess it's not the bit "IEEE Proceedings", but the Trans
on Ant and Prop.

Helibowls don't have horizon to horizon coverage.