[time-nuts] Pioneering Deep-Space Atomic Clock Taking Flight This Month

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 7 00:14:01 UTC 2019

On 6/6/19 3:23 PM, Wayne Holder wrote:
> Perhaps also of interest:
> https://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=105138

yes, similar idea, but I'm pretty sure DSAC uses a cloud of ions, not a
single one.

if you google for "Ely" and "Atomic Clock" you'll turn up a bunch of
papers with Todd Ely in them - he's the PI for DSAC and sort of the
"spacecraft clock" guy, particularly with respect to navigation and
radiometrics (as opposed to radio science) - those papers will talk
about how one might use a better clock in space.

Bob Tjoelker and John Prestage are the "ion clock" guys - if you want to
know how the clock works.