[time-nuts] New timekeeping book (Time in Tokugawa Japan)

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Jun 26 13:43:20 UTC 2019

Frumer does good work, and Tokugawa era timekeeping is interesting because
it used western-stye clock movements to represent seasonally variable
hours, which makes it culturally irrelevant to this list since it
emphasized kairotic timekeeping rather than precision and uniformity.

Cheers,

Kevin

--
Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris