[time-nuts] LeoNTP PPS output to PC DB9 input

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed May 29 07:17:42 UTC 2019

tom at aussec.com said:
>> Alternatively, is there a simpler way to achieve the goal?
> No, you really need a level shifting stage that
> converts the PPS to RS232 levels.

I've been running a PPS from a TBolt directly in to a RS232 without a level
shifter for years without any problems.

In the old old days, the 1488 and 1489 were the TTL to RS232 level shifter
chips.  (I forget which was transmit and which was receive.)  The receive side
had an input threshold of roughly 1.4 V, same as TTL logic.  All the followup
replacement chips kept that property.  Too many people depend on things like
this working.

On a lab bench, I'd expect things to work fine without a level shifter.  It
won't work as well with long cable runs or crappy grounds.

If I was doing something like you want to do, I would do something close to
what Brent Gordon described.  I might add a 50 ohm resistor.

Part of me tries hard to be nice to lab gear like coax cables.  The idea of
deliberately cutting a cable in two just isn't part of my culture.  But it's a
great way to get some coax already connected to a connector and it doesn't
cost much.  (actually you get two of them)

That approach is often used for high speed scope connections.  Solder one end
of a 1K resistor to the point you want to look at.  Attach center of coax to
the other end.  Find a nearby ground.  Set the scope to 50 ohm input.  That
gives you a 20:1 divider.  (actually, 21:1, use 950R if you want better
accuracy)  Most TTL/CMOS drivers are happy with a 1K load.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.