[time-nuts] Talking Clock

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 1 01:21:20 UTC 2019

On 9/30/19 3:00 PM, Neville Michie wrote:
> Here in Australia we are suffering the loss
> of one of the significant developments in accurate time keeping and dissemination.
> The talking clock, built in England, with sound tracks on rotating glass disks,
> has been on the Australian telephone system for more than half a century.
> The system was timed by quartz oscillators, synchronised to the local observatory time.
> Now in spite of the trivial cost of maintaining the system it has been removed by
> the money-hungry telco which took over the government run telephone system.
> Now it occurs to me that the sound tracks occupy a very small digital space, and
> with modern flash drives and a little logic the talking clock could be driven by
> any time nut's disciplined time source.
> So is there a time nut who could design a voice output that we could all use?
>
> “At the third stroke the time will be…”

using Bash on my mac:

$ date +"The time is now, %H, %M, %S, coordinated universal time" | say
-v Karen

I think that one could do a bit of scripting and have it have your
preferred wording, and synchronized to the top of the second.

I leave it as an exercise for the reader to do it in French:
$ say -v Amelie "Le Temps Universel Coordonné"