[time-nuts] Talking Clock

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 1 02:33:06 UTC 2019

On 9/30/19 7:05 PM, Bob kb8tq wrote:
> Hi
>
> Based on only dimly remembered conversations long long ago:
>
> Getting all the “message fragments” so they sound natural and not choppy is
> not quite as easy as it seems at first. It’s by not quite rocket science, but there
> is more fiddling involved than one might think.
>
> One “solution” is to use fewer fragments and record larger portions of the message.
> Back in the day, storage limited your ability to record every message “full up”.

Typically one records 60 phrases - that is, rather than recording
twenty, thirty, forty, and one, two, three and try to assemble them -
you record all the numbers 00,01,02,03...

After all, your time is *free* to do the recording, and it makes the
software to play it back easier (you don't have to figure out "is this
less than 20 in which case play phrase[0] through phrase[19], and then
play phrasetens[t/10] + phrase[t mod 10]

> Assuming you record the “at the stroke the time will be” only once, the rest is
> under 3 seconds of audio. At maybe 16 bits / 32K sps. (yes that’s overkill). this comes
> up just under 200 K bytes. Recording the full time message for every minute of the
> day would be less than 270 megabytes.

That would be a bit tedious..

There are, of course, myriad text to speech programs of varying quality
available for just about every OS imaginable.  Although, in 10 minutes
of casual browsing, I've not yet found one for Latin - a suitable voice
intoning the time in Latin periodically would seem to be a good addition
to any time cave.

Google translate does speak Latin, although I've not had my family
classics scholar evaluate it.  To my ear, it seems to have a distinctly
Italianate accent (a terminal vowel added to words), although it does
say "Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" and "Carthago delenda est" correctly.