[time-nuts] FA2 notes

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sat Oct 5 21:49:33 UTC 2019

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that update on the FA-2. I had the opportunity to test one
last week. Comments:

 > the unit isn’t competitive with the TICC2 and TADD combo

They are quite different instruments: one is a timestamping or time
interval counter, and the other is a frequency counter. Using a
frequency counter as a LF time interval counter or using a time interval
counter as a RF frequency counter will not often yield best results.
Note that both instruments can achieve on the order of 11 digits/second
of resolution in ideal cases.

One significant difference is that the FA-2 has a large dead time, the
tau is not actually 0.1 or 1 or 10 s, and it reports only frequency and
not phase. This may have implications for using it for long-term
monitoring. I'm doing some tests to quantify this effect. It wouldn't be
the first time a BG7TBL product struggled with the concept of phase vs.
frequency measurement.

 > the returned values are (around 1.000 000 000) 1.000 000 005 and
0.999 999 995

Correct. The FA-2 does not do well with LF signals; for that its best to
use a time interval counter, such as the TAPR/TICC (which has ~0.1 ns
single-shot resolution). The FA-2 manual implies the core counter has
only 10 ns resolution so for slow signals (such as 1PPS) you're limited
to 8 digits/second resolution. The PLL-based (?) enhanced resolution
kicks in above 100 kHz.

 > never seen anything come back from it other than 10:9 or 10.9 format

Right. Counter resolution is often quoted as "digits per second". This
counts *all* significant digits, not just *decimal places* (digits to
the right of the decimal point). For example, a reading of 9 999 999.976
has ~10 digits of resolution. And a reading like 10 000 000.000 32 has
~12 digits of resolution. I can explain more if you want and how this
ties to tau and ADEV, etc.

 > the 1PPS out of an HP 5061B Cs

The 5061 is known for an unusually powerful 1PPS output. Beware. It can
fry the front-end of some counters.

 > someone should start a group to move this off list

Probably not. Discussion of frequency counters is about as on-topic as
one can get here on this list. If we started a new group every time a
shiny new GPSDO or counter showed up on eBay the list would have a
hundred subs by now. What is helpful are postings like yours that
combine multiple issues and discuss them in depth. By contrast, short
stream of consciousness postings tend to fill up the list and push busy
people away.

/tvb