[time-nuts] FA2 notes

Jerry Hancock jerry at hanler.com
Fri Oct 4 17:38:15 UTC 2019

I noticed you can change the baud rate to for instance, 115200, but I can’t get it to stay persistent after power off.  You send it a command of $B11520* to change it to 115,200, but since it only sends like once every 300msecs, it doesn’t really matter the baud.

I found the unit isn’t competitive with the TICC2 and TADD combo.  When measuring a 1PPS signal, the returned values are (around 1.000 000 000) 1.000 000 005 and 0.999 999 995.  Note the ‘5’ as the last digit.  When measuring signals greater than a certain frequency that escapes me, the last digit will then add more resolution switching from units of 5 to 1.

Also, in the doc they talk about digits returned from 8 - 12.  I’ve never seen anything come back from it other than 10:9 or 10.9 format depending on your coding skills.  I tried putting it into ‘High precision” mode by sending it a $E3434* command.

You can change the gate on the fly using the $G* command.  It cycles through the gate times opposed to being able to set it directly.  There are a number of persistent commands that enable default startups, etc.

And one other issue, though it has a somewhat high input level, I noticed I had to put an attenuator on it for measuring the 1PPS out of an HP 5061B Cs.  Otherwise it returned a time of 3hz instead of 1hz for some reason.  All done in 50 ohm mode.

Otherwise a nice unit for the money.  I’m thinking someone should start a group to move this off list.

Regards,

Jerry