[time-nuts] 10 MHz notch filter

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Tue Oct 15 14:12:59 UTC 2019

I have just made an experimental 10 MHz notch filter for phase noise
improvement.

input - 50 Ohm to 400 Ohm transformer----- 400 Ohm line  ----
400-to50-transformer - output.

 From the 400 Ohm line to GND are 2 cheap 10 MHz crystals, one with a
35pF series trimmer,

the other with series trimmer and 4.7uH. The xtal resonances thus are 10
MHz +1.6 KHz and -1.6 KHz.

Transformers are 1:8CT  Pulse electronics CX2049LNLT   digikey
553-2287-1-nd.

That's all.

The pics are the frequency response of the filter and the effect on the
phase noise of an R&S SMIQ.

SMIQ was chosen as an easy victim.

The filter costs next to nothing. It won't turn my MV89A references into
BVAs, but gives at least some

keyhole insights . There could be easily 5 crystal pairs for
strategically chosen frequencies.

For notches closer to the carrier the impedance level must be probably
lower (1:4 or 1:2 xformers)

That makes the notches less deep, but also less wide, so they cannot
interact at the carrier frequency itself.

The filter withstands quite a lot of power because the crystals do not
resonate on the carrier frequency.

Just make sure you do not sweep them with +30 dBm accidentally.

regards, Gerhard