[time-nuts] Question for my new GPSDO

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Tue Oct 15 19:02:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, 15 Oct 2019 18:57:30 +0200
Attila Kinali <attila at kinali.ch> wrote:

> Assuming
> your OCXO has a tuning range of 1ppm (I've seen 0.1 to 20ppm for OCXOs)
> that would mean you have to controll the EFC voltage better than parts in 1e-9
> or 30 bits. Yes, this is kind of unreallistic, but that's what the design
> should aim for. If you acheive something around 24bits, you will be probably
> close enough. (Note: that's 24bit resolution and stability over the
> loop time constant. It is not 24bit absolute resolution)

Err.. correction: 1e-12 frequency control resolution with 1ppm EFC tuning
range results in 1e-6 required EFC voltage control. Which in turn is 20bits.
This is much saner requirement.

I thought something was off when I wrote this, but I was apparently not
awake enough to realize that my calculation was wrong. Sorry about that.

				Attila Kinali

--
<JaberWorky>	The bad part of Zurich is where the degenerates
                throw DARK chocolate at you.