[time-nuts] GPS Antennas

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Wed Oct 16 18:16:50 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Just to be clear, the request was about which multi-band antenna to buy.
I'd like to play with the new F9P or F9T GPS modules. The Chinese unit
from ebay is now in hand, and I need a free weekend to build a mount for
the house.

For those concerned with the lightning aspect, The hits were not direct.
The long wire on the GPS antenna is the suspected culprit. Even with
surge protection on the coax, the antenna died. The antenna was mounted
on a tower next to a remote garage, with coax to the house.

The new GPS antenna is going to move from the tower to the house (~200ft
shorter coax). The tower itself (at the remote garage) has four ground
rods bonded to it, and it's also tied to the 6" steel well casing (220ft
deep). The garage has two ground rods at it's service entrance. There
are two ground rods at the house (sub panel fed from the garage). The
house rods should be very low impedance, installed in very wet ground,
driven below the basement footings when those were exposed.

Anyway, I think this will solve the lightning issue. And hopefully give
multi band capability too.

Thanks for all the input!

Dan