[time-nuts] Using commercial video amplifier for 10MHz clock distribution.

Dana Whitlow k8yumdoober at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 10:55:42 UTC 2019

Hello Taka,

As long as you stick to CW sinewaves *and* the distribution amp specs are
honest when they say "buffered out puts", the problem is fairly simple.  If
you're not seeing distortion under your operating load and signal
amplitudes,
it's OK and I'd not bother to change anything.

By "honest ..." I  mean that each output has its own independent output
amplifier.  However, this device looks to be fairly inexpensive and it's
possible that the mfr uses a single amplifier with a low output impedance
and distributes that through three 75-ohm resistors.  In this event there is
a possibility that with lower than 75-ohm loads, the amplifier's drive
current
capability might be exceeded, leading to distortion.

So, I'd suggest that you keep an eye on distortion levels on each output,
especially after making any system changes.  And, I'd take care to load
any unused outputs with a termination whose resistance equals the
impedance of the cable you're using for distribution.  If you fail to do
this,
and the *electrical* length of any *unterminated* cable is anywhere near
1/4 wavelength at 10 MHz, the impedance seen by the afflicted distro
amp output could be much lower than the intended 75 ohms, again
leading to risk of significant distortion.

I'd try to avoid distributing non-sinusoidal signals unless you're
careful to make sure that the cable impedance matches the output
impedance of the distro amp *and* the input impedance of whatever
your load is.  Otherwise the situation can get more complicated in
a hurry, with the prospect of both nonlinear distortion and edge
distortion due to reflections bouncing around in the cable.  But if
you must, the key is again to check the waveforms at the far ends
of the cables with the intended loads attached.  If the waveforms
look just like what you're expecting (with clean transitions at the
leading and falling edges), you should be OK.

One other issue with a poorly-buffered distro amp is that something
about a given output (like it's phase and/or amplitude) might change
depending on what loads are connected to the other outputs (and the
cable lengths involved).  If this is a concern to you, then you should
check for this effect to establish the viability of your system.

I hope this helps.  Sorry to say, nothing is ever really simple.

Dana