[time-nuts] Mounting thread on TopGNSS GN-GGB0710

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Oct 30 07:02:07 UTC 2019

> I have two of these. They are both 5/8-11, however they were both tapered.
> The taper can be removed with a hand tap.

Are tapered threads used for something other than pipes?

> The ones I’ve seen all thread fine onto the standard survey poles. I believe
> that is a 5/8-11 thread.

Do survey poles have a tapered thread, or are the threads short enough not to
encounter the tapered part of the hole?  Google found lots of adapters.  None
of the threads looked tapered.

I'm not a machinist (but my dad was).  Wiki says it's common to start with a
tapered tap because they are easier to get started, then follow up with a
bottoming tap if necessary.  Did they just forget that step for a batch of
antennas?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.