[time-nuts] GPSDO+PC as a NTP server

Adam Kumiszcza akumiszcza at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 09:02:43 UTC 2019

HI again!

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 9:37 PM Fiorenzo Cattaneo <fio at cattaneo.us> wrote:

> > 2. I would like to get both NMEA and PPS signal from it on the NTP
> server.
> > Currently PPS is on pin 8 (CTS) but according to
> > http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.1/driver22.htm and
> > https://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html it should
> > rather be on pin 1 (DCD).
>
> [...]

> (3) use FreeBSD instead, which supports runtime configuration of
> either DCD or CTS for PPS
>
> I use the latter, as I am big fan of FreeBSD

I'm trying to make it work on FreeBSD.

I put hint.uart.0.flags="0x10000" in /boot/device.hints as per
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=sio&sektion=4 (0x10000   PPS
timestamping on CTS instead of DCD).
I recompiled the kernel with PPS support.
My devfs.conf has the following:
link cuau0 gps0
link cuau0 refclock-0
link cuau0 pps0

But I still don't seem to get PPS (no "o" in ntpq -np). Which driver do you
use? 127.127.22.0 or 127.127.20.0 or both? I'm only able to use 22.0, which
is GPS_NMEA, but on some webpages it's the only one mentioned after
discussing PPS.

Thanks in advance,
Adam Kumiszcza