[time-nuts] "The Penultimate HP5065 A15"

ew ewkehren at aol.com
Sun Aug 2 13:50:54 UTC 2020

Having one of the best HP5065A Rb's that Corby has seen right at 4 E-14 at 200 and 400 sec. I have been hands off. My age and macular hole on my right eye has impacted my hardware work. A recent test also shows very low aging over a 9 month period. But last September my environmental monitor was with Tom. The last month I have spend strictly on temperature to better understand what lab temperature effects the Rb.  This moment a 48 hour frequency test is in the works because there is a tropical storm that was a hurricane  20  miles east from me. Hope there are no power failures because the Rb is not on a UPS but like all my frequency equipment is on a Power Line Conditioner including the Rb. No power failure I will be able to share frequency versus pressure and temperature.

C field control Corby included by my request a fine control using a Vishay trim pot, knowing what I know today I would make the trim pot the coarse and the original Hp the fine. There is little need for coarse adjustment.

On the A 15 subject I keep hands off but Juerg is making some changes. In the AC mode there is up to 20 W heat generated between the transformer and the 24 V DC input. Our answer is a Buck Converter on the output of the AC supply down to 16 V for the Li Ion module that in turn feeds a Mean Well SD-50A-24 DC?DC converter. It 24 V output is not adjustable but that is a small price to pay. We have done tests feeding an OSA 8600 directly and have not seen any degradation. But in this case the A 15 board still does its part. The parts are not in the Rb but behind on the back.

A pressure, temperature and two DAC board is in the works.

Next hurricane the tests will be on a FRK/M100 because that will be my future HP5065A replacement.

Bert Kehren Palm City Florida