[time-nuts] eLORAN will be on the air GRI 99600

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 5 21:30:18 UTC 2020

On 8/5/20 12:40 PM, Tom Knox wrote:
> Hi Paul and Magnus;
> Not to mention one space EMP would kill all the Sat systems, where a ground base system even if affected would be easy to access for repair.

The vulnerability of GNSS systems to EMP attacks is not all that high -
GPS is, after all, a DoD essential system, and lives in a ridiculously
high radiation environment in MEO - They're also hard to neutrons (based
on published specs for components in the GNSS satellites).

In most scenarios, LEO satellites get hammered, MEO and GEO not so much.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a531197.pdf

"GPS and GEO satellites are threatened only by the very high yield (~ 10
Mt) detonations of our trial set."

I'll note that the largest the US has detonated in space are the Teak
and Orange shots 3.8Mt (at <100km), and only Starfish Prime (1.4Mt) at
400km cased significant problems.

The usual "use case" for EMP is to affect aircraft and ground based
assets, and the burst height is low (so the air around the burst is
denser - more particle interactions = more current = more field) -
conversely, this reduces the flux at 20,000 km (where GPS is) and
36,000km (GEO)

Ultimately, it's that your victim is a Long, long ways away from
whatever the phenomenon is.

I've been doing a lot of analysis on EMI/RFI effects on precision timing
in GEO+1000km - we are looking at bursts from the sun, and timing it
with GNSS satellites.  Things that I agonized over (high power shortwave
broadcasters radiating 500kW into a 24dBi curtain array) in my LEO
satellite at 500km just become a non-issue at 37,000 km.  Inverse square
law really helps.

Anyway, that DTIC report will give you plenty to geek out over.

Yes, there would be significant disruption in timing accuracy due to the
ionized particles - I'm not sure if dual frequency would be enough to
compensate.

I think alternate timing and nav systems are good idea, but selling it
as "GPS will be knocked out by EMP" isn't going to get you very far.

>>> Paul
>>> WB8TSL