[time-nuts] eLORAN will be on the air GRI 99600

Bob kb8tq kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Aug 6 21:07:05 UTC 2020

Hi

> On Aug 6, 2020, at 4:40 PM, jimlux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> On 8/6/20 9:17 AM, Taka Kamiya via time-nuts wrote:
>> Someone in this thread mentioned "at least 2 satellite time and frequency solutions" exists already.  I only know of GPS (GNSS) constellations.  What's the other?
>
> Transit?
>
> I don't believe they are still operational, though.
>

> I wonder if one might be able to pick up time/frequency from a commercial TV broadcast transponder.  The transponders on the satellite are typically bent pipes (for C-band anyway), I would assume that the uplinks may or may not have stability comparable to terrestrial broadcast.
>
> One problem is, of course, that the satellites aren't in a stable location (at least on a "meters" scale) - but one could certainly do "common view" kinds of time transfer.

Another couple of “up in the air” question:

Some of the systems transmit “stand alone” signals in each of two or three different bands. Does each
band count as a separate time source?

If you know your location already, each sat in these systems can be a time source all by it’s self. Do they
each count?

I guess is depends a lot on just how you look at redundancy ….